CCTV Camera System Benefits
Improving Coverage – Correctional facilities and prisons Many prisons and are very large complexes with many different areas, that all require very close monitoring. Security personnel and guards cannot possibly be everywhere, CCTV security cameras establish constant coverage of the entire facility.
Inmate Monitoring – CCTV surveillance helps guards to pinpoint suspicious inmate activities and helps to prevent possible prison incidents from getting out of control.
Visual Evidence – New HD digital surveillance footage can be archived for long periods of time. Digital video footage has proven to be a valuable resource when investigating prison incidents.
Maintaining Order – Prisons can break out into large fights or gang wars in an instant.CCTV cameras help to monitor areas with large prisoner groups when they convene. Prison yards, recreational areas, and dining rooms can be tightly monitored by surveillance from multiple CCTV security cameras.
Assault Reduction – Due to the nature of the correctional facilities and prisons are in the constant state of high tension and violence and fights are inevitable. CCTV cameras help to deter these events while also helping to analyze these incidents of criminal violence.
Drug Smuggling Prevention – CCTV surveillance systems play a key role in preventing visitors as well as inmates from attempting to smuggle drugs into the facility.
Monitor Behavior – There are times when correctional officers and guards can get out of line with inmates and these incidents are caught on camera. This video footage can be used to investigate these incidents and can prevent possible future misconduct.
Transporting – Escorting prisoners through cellblocks and hallways is dangerous and CCTV security cameras can provide higher levels of security and safety while inmates are escorted throughout the facility.
Enhanced Searching – Digital CCTV surveillance offers digital video feeds to be stored and archived in digital video recorders with hard-drives instead of old-school video cassette tapes. New enhancements in digital video allow for fast searching and easy backups of incidents.
Remote Monitoring – Prison video feeds can be monitored anywhere there is an internet connection. Authorized personnel can view multiple video camera feeds from a Mac, PC, Tablet, or Smartphone, rather than having to be in one room monitoring all the cameras at once.
CCTV Surveillance Camera Risks
Tampering – Inmates have a long time to think about and carry out any mischievous plot they have in mind. Inmates often attempt to damage and tampering with prison security equipment. Many correctional facilities already use vandal proof cameras to help curb this issue, but there is always the possibility that a CCTV camera will be vandalized or damaged and lose its video signal. This is why its imperative to have a backup security plan.
Reliance on Cameras – CCTV surveillance cameras installed in correctional facilities and prisons should not solely rely on surveillance equipment. Though effective, and undoubtedly necessary, security cameras help to maintain order within a prison environment but they are simply one part of the overall security effort. Guards, officers, and staff along with security alarms, access control, and other safety measures should supplement CCTV camera systems.
CCTV Surveillance Camera Configuration
There are many challenges when installing CCTV cameras in prisons and correctional facilities. With multiple buildings, cell blocks, hundreds of rooms, and a vast amount of outdoor and indoor areas to cover it can be hard to achieve constant surveillance. We suggest you consider the following before deploying a prison or correctional facility CCTV system:
- Install cameras in your most high-risk areas?
- What key areas are most prone to violent outbursts or crimes?
- Have you had issues with inmate assaults?
- Have you had reports or cases of officers mistreating inmates?
- Is there a history of drug trafficking and use at the facility?
- What security systems does your facility have in place currently?
- Do you have sufficient security staff at the facility?
Setup Advice for Prison CCTV Cameras
- Cameras should be installed in common areas, like prison yards, cafeterias, and recreational areas.
- Cameras at all stairwells, corridors, and hallways, other any area that inmates may be escorted.
- Cameras at all processing, identification and booking areas
- All cell block activity should be monitored via CCTV video surveillance.
- Prison yards should be covered from all angles and should use PTZ cameras to supplement fixed cameras so guards may follow inmates that may cause problems
- All entrances and exits the facility and separate independent cell blocks should have CCTV surveillance.