Security Camera Benefits on Buses
Driver Protection – Bus drivers rely on their passengers to act accordingly and unfortunately this is not always the case. Visible onboard security cameras help to deter and to investigate behavior that is unacceptable. Any outbursts of aggressive towards a bus driver can be properly documented..
Enforcing Regulations – Surveillance cameras help to enforce regulations and bus rules. Having signs throughout the bus mentioning camera presence sends a clear message to passengers. Most riders will follow the rules, obey driver orders and pay fares when they know they are being monitored.
Theft Prevention – The presence of security cameras helps to monitor all bus activity, and helps in the prevention of theft between passengers.
Violence Deterring – Unpredictable violent incidents do occur and can stem from a passenger under the influence, or a simple argument between passengers. CCTV cameras help to monitor these activities and enable security operators to properly alert local authorities in the event that an incident breaks out.
Safety of Passengers – Any passenger using the bus system wants to feel safe during their ride. Onboard video security cameras help to assure passengers that the bus transit system is providing a high level of security to make them feel safe.
Investigations – Investigating criminal activities becomes far easier with the help of video surveillance. Video images of individuals boarding the buses and recordings of onboard incidents help local authorities to properly investigate crimes and incidents.
Surveillance Security Camera Risks on Buses
Privacy – Many bus drivers feel uncomfortable having surveillance cameras watch their every move. With this in mind, many bus systems choose to only use security cameras to target the bus entry and exits along with passenger areas. This helps to ensure the bus drivers privacy.
Vandalism Concern – When you have cameras that are clearly visible and at arm’s length, you can expect to have some passengers attempt to tamper with them. We suggest that you have a backup security measure in the event cameras are tampered with.
Onboard Security Camera Systems for Buses Considerations
We suggest that you consider the following prior to purchasing or installing video surveillance for a bus system:
- Do you currently have security installed on the bus? If so what do you have?
- What areas do the buses travel through? Do they travel through high-crime neighborhoods?
- What hours do you run the buses? Are there late night routes?
- Have you experienced theft or incidents on your buses in the past?
- Have there been violence or fights documented on the buses in the past?
- Do your drivers currently feel safe?
- Are there instances where passengers refuse to pay fares?
- Have you experienced issues with between bus drivers and passengers?I
Surveillance Camera Installation Advice for Buses
- Install cameras so you monitor and record all passengers who enter the bus. You should get a crystal clear image of all passengers.
- Monitoring all interactions between passengers and the driver is suggested.
- All bus exits should have cameras covering them.
- Cameras should be installed in a way so they monitor the entire passenger area on the bus so you may monitor all inappropriate passenger behavior, thefts and acts of violence.
- We highly suggest you also install cameras on the exterior of the bus so you may properly monitor the surrounding area and document any accidents that may occur.